Learn how teachers can use language—words, tone, and pace—to increase student engagement, build a positive classroom community, and more effectively manage behavior.
In this warm and thought-provoking guide, Paula Denton offers practical tips, real-life anecdotes, and concrete examples, including specific suggestions about language to adopt and language to avoid. Topics include:
- Using language to help children envision success
- Open-ended questions that stretch children’s thinking
- Listening and using silence skillfully
- The 3 Rs of teaching language: reinforcing, reminding, and redirecting
- Saying what you mean and meaning what you say: giving brief, concrete instructions that offer meaningful, specific encouragement
The Power of Our Words advocates a sensible approach to teacher language that is backed by research and proven through decades of successful practice in elementary classrooms nationwide.